Feb 20, 2015

chocolates in a red box

Assorted chocolates are something I've grown to want - I don't "miss" them per se, because kids under five don't really eat a whole bunch of them (or, I didn't), but as I've gotten older, I've realized that MOST assorted chocolate boxes "may contain wheat". I was in England a couple summers ago, and found a labeled GF box with absolutely no effort. They were wonderful. Really showed me what I've been missing.
Cut to every single Valentine's Day or Christmas grocery store aisle, and you'll see tons of assorted chocolates. I know I can't have them, yet I put myself through the annoyance of checking each time. I was at Walmart a few days ago, and saw a Hershey's box. Now, I LIKE Hershey's chocolate, but I'm not a huge fan of their solid chocolate bars (except the ones with almonds. Those rock). Before you think I'm crazy, let me note that they're GREAT - I just don't eat them all the time. A few bites, fine, s'mores, duh, but the big momma chocolate bars? Not my cup of tea.
Still, it was a box of assorted chocolates, and I have a thing about those. Picked up the box. Saw no warning. Read the ingredients. No indication of gluten. Sighed. Debated. Put it down and walked away. Went back and got it. Tried to call the 800 number, but it was after hours and I didn't want to deal with automation.
I bought the box, and just hoped it was gluten free.
Before you panic, I didn't actually eat the chocolate until I called the next day. Chocolates aren't worth that pain. Someone else would have eaten it if I couldn't, but LUCKILY, all was well and I'm now happily making my way through various yummy chocolates.

(I bought more before the season was up... just in case anyone doubted that. )

No comments:

Post a Comment